If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Monday 23 January 2012

High Standarts

Seen in Tesco recently:



Click for bigger

I 'did' Russian at school (failed with O-level grade 8, but it was a hard language with three genders and more cases than the carousel at Terminal 5, was my excuse), and it has left me with a few basic words and an ability to read - slowly - Cyrillic script. So if I ever see Russian written down I always try to read it out, even if my understanding of what it means is very limited. I like having a John Cleese moment.

I was drawn to these bottles straight away for this reason, amongst others. The script says "Russkiy Standart" ("Russian Standard" - Russian borrows heavily from English). But it was the prices that brought out the camera phone.

Tesco Value - 500ml for only£12, and 750ml for £11. Do you think they ever sell the little bottles? Don't answer that.

7 comments:

  1. Ahhh, Tesco pricing. It always pays to look at the quantity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always - although it usually needs a calculator. I have never seen it as blatant as this before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they've gone the whole hog and priced the litre bottles at £10, I might be tempted to switch from Sainsbury's...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd advise you to wait until the 40 litre drums go on sale. By my calculations they should be free or attract a small subsidy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You already put it on the Slog. Good show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Er, good suggestion ... but I didn't. John Ward must have seen it first. I am honoured!

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...